St Briac

St Briac lies on the Gulf Stream which means it enjoys a warm climate, several degrees warmer than the surrounding areas.

The village has fine examples of tropical palms and plants, along the streets, making strolls very enjoyable.

The name St Briac comes from the name of Saint Briac, an Irishman. Briac arrived from Ireland with Saint Tugdual in around 548.

The 4th and 5th day of September, 1758, a British fleet of 113 ships under the command of Admiral Richard Howe, landed east of the Garde Guerin, in Saint Briac.

With a force of more than 12,000 men, under the command of General Thomas Bligh, who accompanied the Duke of York, the future king George III, they established camp in neighboring St Lunaire, but not before pillaging and burning down more than half of Saint Briac.

Le Chateau du Nessay was built on an emplacement of a castle originating form the 12th century.

During the French Revolution, it was used as a prison, to hold political prisoners.

For further information visit the local website at www.saint-briac.com