Saint Quay Portrieux

The town of Saint-Quay-Portrieux is in the department of Côtes d’Armor, formerly known as the Cotes du Nord, Brittany.

It is located in the Bay of Saint-Brieuc, which is the prefecture of the department.

The coast of Saint-Quay-Portrieux, called the Coast Goëlo extends from Saint-Brieuc Paimpol up further north, facing the archipelago Brehat.

On these shores, a few kilometers from Saint-Quay Portrieux is the commune of Plouha where stand the highest cliffs in Britany, whose highest point is 104 meters from the sea level.

Harbor Island is a rocky island located 1.8 km from the shore of Saint-Quay-Portrieux, facing the edge of Saint-Quay also called the tip of the semaphore.

This island, surmounted by a lamp dating from 1850 marking the archipelago of Saint-Quay Islands, is the highest of the archipelago and the only shelter of vegetation.

The legend says that in the fifth century hermit Sant-Ke (or Kenan or Kolodoc’h) landed in Cambria (South Wales) in a stone trough, without a paddle without veil, without food.

Managed, not without difficulty, in the cove Kertugal, he was suddenly greeted by laundresses who took fright at the sight of him, convinced he was a demon.

Armed branches of broom, they beat him and left him for dead.

The holy man then asked the Virgin to help him. It appeared to him and brought forth in its flanks a source who nursed his wounds. She then led him away from a gigantic bramble for it rests.

The following day, women who had beaten implored his forgiveness.

La Fontaine Saint-Quay stands for the location from which springs the source, and the Notre Dame de la Ronce (destroyed in 1875), stood at the spot where St. Ke rested.