Plougrescant

Plougrescant is a small town in the centre of a peninsula surrounded by small islands 17 kilometres from the coast, highly indented by wind and tide, with lots of small rocky islands. The traditional activity up to the 20th century was seaweed gathering.

You need a long walk along the estuary Jaudy passing through the village of La Roche Jaune, to achieve that which is nicknamed the “peninsula of Belle escape. Chapel St. Gonery, Plougrescant.

On this land, peace and tranquility are the hallmarks of Plougrescant, parish from 1330, became a separate municipality in 1790.

This impression is probably of mysticism which still emanates from a village whose founder, Gonéry monk healer Grand Breton immigrated to the 4th century, still seems to cover the city’s protection.

Arriving with his mother, Eliboubane, on this wild coast, he began to evangelize a small community of fishermen-farmers who have not ceased to revere.

Legend has it that he rests in a sarcophagus of the 8th century, away from the chapel that bears his name.

It is topped by a spire askew, lead, dating from 1612 but since restored while retaining this feature. It rests on a tower dating from the 10th century.

The chapel is home to treasures of art made in the 15th century is revealed by the paintings of the nave, a prudish Creating a Flight into Egypt and other Bible stories that adorn the walls.

An imposing mausoleum dating from 1599 to sing the memory of William Halgoët, former bishop of Tréguier, skirting a virgin pale alabaster carved in the 14th century.