Binic

The small port of Binic is to be found on the western bank of the bay of Saint-Brieuc.

The name of the city most probably comes from pen (Breton, head) and Ic, the name of a small river. Binic would therefore mean “the mouth of river Ic”.

In 1845, Binic was the most important French port for the so-called Grande Pêche.

The fishers from Binic, along with the Basque fishers, were among the first ones to go fishing on the Newfoundland banks. A ship from Binic called La Catherine was seen near Newfoundland in 1523.

In 1845 37 ships were registered in Binic, hiring 1,800 seaman.

The average yearly traffic in the port was 150-160 ships, requiring 600 on-shore workers. Accordingly, there were also 37 pubs in the village.

The fishing campaign to Newfoundland involved three-masters called terre-neuvas, after the French name of Newfoundland, Terre-Neuve.

The ships left Binic in April for a six-month campaign. Each ship had a crew of 25-36, including the novices, aged 12.

At the end of the XIXth century, the three-masters were replaced by schooners and Newfoundland was abandoned for Iceland, the fishing season being February to August.

There were still 18 schooners registered in Binic in 1895, but only five of them in 1913.

Binic was progressively transformed in a nice sea resort, but fishing activity was maintained, especially scallop fishing, the main fishing activity in the Bay of Saint-Brieuc.

Since 1992, this activity is mostly located in the neighbouring port of Saint-Quay-Portrieux, where a new port and a modern auction room were built.

Source: Municipal website

For further information visit the Municipal website (in French and English), at www.ville-binic.fr/