Locronan

Locronan has been credited with being one of the most beautiful villages in France by an independent association aiming to promote tourism into rural France.

The village’s name means the hermitage of Saint Ronan. It has previously been known as Saint-René-du-Bois. St Ronan is greatly venerated in Brittany.

He was a Celtic (possibly Cornish or Irish) missionary of the 6th century.

His association with Locronan is close, and his relics are kept in the parish church.

Locronan is a small town built at the foot of a hill, and was granted town status in 1505 by Anne of Brittany, who went there on a pilgrimage.

Since the 15th century, hemp has been blossoming in Locronan’s surroundings.

This led to a hemp industry in the town at the time, making the town quite prosperous.

Locronan’s hemp used to be shipped around the world, and was also vital for rigging the shipping, both commercial and military, that operated from Brittany’s many ports.

It was at this time that the Saint Ronan church was built as well as the small chapel of Penity.